Sunday, December 13, 2009

Memory Fades


In my whining and complaining on my first 2 blogs I forgot that I actually DO have some neat memories of my grandparents - on my dad's side. My Papo Bud, who was my grandmother Haddie Shippey's 2nd husband adored me. My mom tells me he used to take me to the local diner everytime I visited. My mom always dressed me in frilly girl outfits (yes, the ruffle panties AND the ruffle socks, which I used to hate and would rip the ruffle off as I got older). Anyway, he used to take me to the local diner and would set me up on the table and have me sing and dance for all his friends! Mom says it was really quite funny because I had the deepest voice at that time and I ate like a bird, so I was tiny, tiny, tiny. I can just imagine, a tiny, skinny little girl with white blonde mop-head curls standing on a table in a frilly frock, in the middle of a diner singing in a deep, deep frog voice, while her Papo watches on, eyes full of joy.... How sweet is that?

My Grandma Haddie memories are also sketchy - what I do remember is feeling loved and doted on, I remember to me her house was dark, but I LOVED going there because I ALWAYS ALWAYS got ice cream. I remember being in her kitchen and eating ice cream. See? Food again! So, if Suzan Colon had fond memories of good food times and so do I, is it bad as a mom if I'm constantly trying to limit those "good foods" - like cookies, icecream, etc...? I guess I need to think on that one... Maybe it's just for grandparents to create those memories - Nat's parents do the same thing for their grandkids... special cereals that they like, special drinks, special snacks... mmmm... guess if they do it, then I don't have to!!!

1 comment:

  1. It's Hattie, not Haddie. She always used to cut your bangs without asking me... I would almost get them grown out and she'd be at it again... So exasperating, but she worshiped you. They loved to keep you overnight and rarely wanted us to pick you up when we were coming home at night. They preferred to bring you back in the late morning. You were the only grandchild who ever lived in the same town as them. They were in hog heaven.....

    ReplyDelete